Tuesday, September 27, 2011

cdp23..."thing 20"

I am embarrassed to admit that adding my blog to a wiki and therefore opening it up for even more people to read, frightens me. Writing has never been a strong suit of mine. Putting my thoughts into words is one thing but writing them down is another. However, I am trying to improve myself and grow by participating in this “23 things for professional development” program. So I will push forward and“talk” about my library roots/routes, and who knows, maybe someone out there in the “wiki” world will find it interesting and “reading” worthy.


In some ways I feel I’m at a total disadvantage in this program and perhaps don’t belong here at all. I am not a librarian so I can not blog first hand about my education. However, I do work at a library. I am a clerk in the Children's Room at Saratoga Springs Public Library, which is in upstate New York. In some ways I feel I am qualified to be a librarian but not because of schooling or degrees but because of my work experience. I have many job duties and am often called upon to handle reference questions of all types. I have a very good knowledge of books, in particular children's literature, both old and new. I know our stacks inside and out. I can help patrons sometimes quicker than our librarians can. I know that life experiences don’t hold the weight formal education does but often times I wish it would.
Being a single mom my first thought in getting my current job was finding a way to support my family. About 6 years ago my local public library needed someone to shelve books a few hours in the morning. All of my four children were now school age and I was looking for employment. I have always loved libraries so I was hoping this job would be a good fit. Once I began working there I knew it is where I was meant to be. It wasn’t long before I moved to part time library clerk and eventually full time clerk. Since I work in the children’s room my duties are not very clerical but rather more dealing with the public, both kids and adults through programming, etc. I feel in some ways my “route” to librarianship is just beginning. With that thought in mind, I always jump at the chance to broaden my horizons and learn more. I have considered going back to school to get my degree and hopefully one day I will become a librarian. Being a part of this program and getting to "meet" other librarians gives me hope and incentive that one day that may come true. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment