Thursday, October 6, 2011

cdp23..."thing 22"

Volunteering is truly a wonderful thing, and I have done plenty in my lifetime but I have never worked unpaid to further my career. However, when I think about it, indirectly perhaps I have. When my kids were younger I helped out at their schools on many occasions. From chaperoning on trips, to class and lunch room "helper", to assisting with holiday craft projects, all of these activities stayed with me and I find myself drawing upon them at my current job in the Children's Room at the Saratoga Springs Public Library. Other volunteering ventures I've done, soup kitchen, Girl Scout Leader, etc...also have added to the "foundation" of experience I've built over the years.

I believe all aspects of volunteering is a very good thing and it is in no way devaluing our profession or any other for that matter. It is something that should be encouarged for people of ages to participate in. The lessons learned are invalueable.

No comments:

Post a Comment