Thursday, October 6, 2011

cdp23..."thing 21"

Strengths of mine in the workplace...relate well with others and always strive to have a positive attitude, (whether it's working with the public or other staff members), a very quick study and enjoy learning new things, (which is the main reasons I am partaking in this course), have a strong computer knowledge, enjoy working with the public, (especially children), can easily adapt to change, and am very creative.

Outside of work...I am a self taught seamstress and have turned that hobby into freelance work. Plus, I am a mom of four and that alone has brought out talents I never even knew I had.

Bringing my home "talents" to work is something I do without even trying. My creative and compassionate side come through and I am fortunate that my employers are open to new ideas.

Interviewing tips...This past week I had the opportunity at work to be on an interviewing committee to decide which of three candidates our library would hire to be the new human resource manager. The entire process taught me a lot about what an employer looks for in an applicant. If experience and schooling are similar among them, often times it is the little things, eye contact or lack there of, body language, how you handle certain questions, etc. that may help to tilt the scales in your favor.

In closing I would like to say do I love the feeling of satisfaction I get after I complete something I've worked on. Since I try to put my all into whatever I do, either at work or at home, I get that feeling often. When our committee came to a final decision on who to hire today, it was so satisfying knowing I worked and collaborated with my peers to select the right person for the job.
And when I go home tonight and finish the dress I am making or help my daughter complete her college essay, the same sense of satisfaction will roll over me.

All I can say is try to find a job where that is something you feel and will continue to experience and then you'll know you are doing the right job.

side note: I plan on a HUGE sense of accompleshment when I finish all my 23 "things"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment