Wednesday, August 10, 2011

cdp23...thing 12

Of course with everything in life there are advantages and disadvantages. The same holds true for social networking.

On one hand, it is wonderful to have the ability to connect with fellow professionals literally from around the world with just the click of a button (or mouse). I was beyond excited to receive an email from a new librarian in England that read and commented on my blog a few weeks ago.

However, on the down side, sometimes it feels like social networking has no bounderies and privacy rules are out the window. The sense that "big brother" is watching my every internet move creeps up on me. My facebook profile is very basic, not telling much about myself at all, but still sommehow I get ads plugging items that is completely tailored to my interests and hobbies. How do they know this info? By somehow following the sites I go to and who I am in contact with. Like I said...it's like having someone looking over your shoulder that you just can't shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment