Wednesday, August 31, 2011

cdp23...thing 16

Libraries are definitely something I am very passionate about. My love of them started as a child. My mom, an avid reader and lover of books, was and still is a weekly library patron. Living in the northeast region of the U.S., winters can be pretty rough, but no matter what the conditions, our weekly journey to the library was always a must.

Working at a library, especially one as wonderful as mine , is a dream job. Being an advocate for my library is something that I do without even thinking about it. Besides the usual, like speaking highly of it wherever and whenever I can, I have also tried to combine some of our children's programs with community groups or events. IE. my daughter's ballet company performs a story ballet every spring. The last two years our library has invited the company to perform excerpts of the ballet while dressed in full costume after a librarian reads the story aloud to the audience. This small act is a step in the direction of blending my library with my community. The more effort that is put towards this I believe the more residents will realize the value of public libraries.

As Laura mentioned in her blog, being called the "library lady" when patrons, especially kids see me outside of work, is my badge of honor. I love being associated with my library and gladly take on the role as an advocate whenever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment