Monday, August 29, 2011

cdp23...thing 15

My professional events experience...Once again I find myself at a loss of much experience to share. I have not attended many library many conferences. I have however, been involved with organizing some events in my library. Most recently an around the world program we held following our summer reading theme of "One World, Many Stories". I've also been on staff day committees, etc... What I found works the best is, first and foremost, relating to your target audience. With our children's programs obviously the kids are number one but at the same time we keep in mind that adults are also attending, and with that in mind, having crafts or presenters that involve parents working and enjoying with their children works the best.

On a side note...programs with perks, or incentives are also something I've discovered brings in an audience. Laura (my cdp23 partner) and I attended a local library conference. Going from booth to booth we stopped and talked with many vendors. Through this process we discovered new software, the best bindings for books, exciting new library furniture, etc... But what we also found out was how much we liked collecting all the free items at each table. By the time we circled the room we both felt like a kid that just finished going around the block on Halloween.

What would I like to do in the future??? I would like to attend conferences that are dedicated more towards children's literature and needs since I work in the Children's Room at my library. I enjoy brainstorming with fellow colleagues and would prefer to do that rather then actually talk on a topic by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment